Sunday 8 January 2012

The Awesome Adventure of Abraham Lincoln-Chapter 2.2

“Please, call me Abe,” Lincoln smiled. “And you are?”
“You may refer to me as…the Director,” the woman turned around to reveal a scarred, worn out face, complete with eye patch. “I must say, I’ve been looking forward to seeing you.”
“Enough to raise me back from the dead, you might say,” Abe nodded.
“You might say that indeed, given that it’s exactly what happened. In fact, I can’t think of a reason you wouldn’t say it. Other than to lie.”
“It’s not one of my traits, I’m afraid.”
“So I’ve heard. Would you care for a refreshment?” the Director pointed at her globe.
“No thank you, ma’am. I swore I’d never eat wood again after that time when I was 8. We were so poor, I had to nibble on my shovel’s handle just to stave off hunger pangs. Terrible taste, wood. And it doesn’t go with anything, either. Tried all sorts of garnish, but nothing could get rid of that distinct wood taste.”
“Actually I was referring to these,” the Director lifted up the northern hemisphere to reveal a hidden drinks cabinet. Lincoln looked impressed.
“Gad, that’s mighty clever. I tried to have one of those put into the White House, you know. Didn’t work though. Damn idiot that designed it installed it upside down. Every time I tried to get a drink, all the bottles kept falling to the floor. And do you know how embarrassing it is trying to talk strategy with your generals when your room smells of hooch? Nobody can take you seriously.”
“I can appreciate that, Mr. Lincoln.”
“Well I’m glad you can, I certainly can’t. I’ll have a Kentucky bourbon, if you’re offering.”
“Anything for you, Commissioner?” the Director asked, grabbing glasses.
“Oh no Director, not for me thank you. My wife’s been telling me to cut down on the vices lately. I’m only allowed one a day now.”
“Very well,” she poured herself and Lincoln a shot of bourbon. “A toast, I think is appropriate. To the success of Project Pendragon.”
“To Project Pendragon!” the team clinked glassed, except for the Commissioner, who substituted his pipe.
“Although I’m still not 100% sure, other than the obvious, what exactly Project Pendragon is about.”
“Well Mr. Lincoln, I think we need to correct that. Thank you Commissioner, that will be all.”
The Commissioner turned to leave, but Lincoln shot up a hand. “Actually, I’d prefer it if the Commissioner stayed. He’s been very helpful in accommodating me to all of this, and I’d appreciate it if he helped me out further.”
The Director shrugged. “As you wish, although I will ask that he stop letting tobacco fall onto my carpet. Let me show you some research our scientists have conducted on you.”
Grabbing a remote from her desk, she pressed the button which opened up the map on the office wall to reveal a video screen. Abe looked impressed once more.
“Goodness. Doesn’t it ever confuse you, having all these things hidden inside other things? I’m afraid to sit down now in case the chair turns out to be, I don’t know, a rocket ship or something.”
“Don’t be ridiculous, Mr. Lincoln. The rocket ship’s in the potted plant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment