Monday 23 January 2012

The Awesome Adventure of Abraham Lincoln-Chapter 4.6


“Where’s the Director?” Hindle roared as he swung his huge biceps, and by extension the rest of his arms, trying to catch the side of Lincoln’s head.
“Calm down, sir,” Abe bobbed and weaved, trying to keep out of harm’s way. “I assure you the Director is fine and well, and anyway we had nothing to do with her disappearance.”
“Then why’d you try to hit me?”
“I’m aware my actions didn’t exactly scream ‘I’m an innocent man’, but I swear on my honour as a gentleman that no harm came to the Director.” After all, he reasoned, if she never existed, how could she possibly have been harmed?
“You’re no gentleman!” Murphy’s eyes burnt with rage, as he tried to connect his fist with the annoying dodging man. “You made her invisible! I can’t see her no more!”
“The only thing you’ll be seeing is stars,” the Commissioner quipped as he threw a potted plant at the back of Hindle’s head, a quip that would have been much better if the act had made any impact whatsoever. Instead, the giant guard just slowly turned round towards our pipe-smoking friend, a look on his eyes that displayed confusion, betrayal, anger and hunger. Here’s a fun rainy day activity-try pulling the face that you imagine Hindle to be making right now! See what weird contortions you can put your face through.
“I…er…I…” the Commissioner sheepishly stuttered as the hulking fellow slowly stepped towards him. Fortunately for our foresight-challenged friend here, Lincoln used this distraction to leap onto Hindle’s back, putting him in a wrestling hold that confined his movements.
“Rargh!” Murphy growled, trying to shake free of Abe’s vice-like grip. “Get off me! Get off me!”
“Not until you listen to reason!” Abe held on harder. “Now listen to me! We did not turn the Director invisible.”
“She said you did! So I knows you did!”
“Damn it, there’s no reasoning with him,” Lincoln frowned.
“No, he’s always been like that. Once he gets an idea, he can’t…remove it,” the Commissioner looked very thoughtful. Then he snapped his fingers in delight.
“Hindle! You’re absolutely right. We did make the Director invisible.”
“Aha!” Murphy smiled in triumph. “You thought you could fool me, but you was wrong!”
“Commissioner, what are you…?” Lincoln started, but stopped once he saw the brilliant look on the Commissioner’s face. He must be up to something.
“But don’t you see, Hindle?” the Commissioner continued. “We did it to help her out!”
“Huh?” both Lincoln and Murphy asked, confusedly.
“You know how you always say no one gets to see the Director while she’s busy? Well, she’s incredibly busy right now. So busy she hasn’t had chance to speak this entire time, because of all the work she has. So we made her invisible to make sure that nobody could see her, so that she wouldn’t be disturbed. See?”
Hindle gazed in confusion for a time. Then he smiled happily.
“Ohhhhh,” he said, his body relaxing in an instant. “That makes sense, alright. That’s pretty clever!”
“I knew you’d think so,” the Commissioner resisted the urge to wipe his brow in relief. “Now why don’t you go back outside and make doubly sure she’s not seen, ok?”
“OK,” Murphy nodded, and resumed his post in front of the now broken door. Lincoln hopped off his back and shook the Commissioner’s hand.
“Smart thinking, sir,” he said admiringly.
“Aw, forget about it Mr. Lincoln,” the Commissioner replied modestly. “Just glad I was able to help.”
“You’ve been a great help, chum. And drop the Mister. You can just call me Lincoln.”
The Commissioner looked proud. “And you can call me…the Commissioner.”
“I will continue to do so. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d better got catch up with our old friend Booth.”
“He’s no friend of mine,” the Commissioner frowned.
“Nor mine, I was just…forget it. You get in touch with your superiors and inform them of what’s happened. I’ll go after Booth.”
“But gosh Lincoln, will you be alright? You said it yourself, your Lincoln powers have disappeared. How will you get them back?”
“Let me worry about that, Commissioner.”
“OK. Well, how will you know where to find him?”
“Let me worry about that too.”
“Fine. But how about worrying about how you’re going to stop Booth once you catch him?”
“I think it’s probably best just to leave all the worrying to me, friend. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a rat that needs putting in a trap.”
Lincoln ran through the office and leapt threw the hole in the window, falling safely to the ground below. You know what amazes me? Both Lincoln and Booth survived the fall, despite the fact it was from the top of the building to the bottom. I guess it goes to show, if you’re prepared for it, you can survive anything. Well, you can survive falls apparently. I wouldn’t take that as solid advice. I am not a medical man.

No comments:

Post a Comment